Our department welcomes all who have decided to pursue an advanced degree in the Indiana University Department of Classical Studies. Our graduate program is led by distinguished professors and provides opportunities for research, study abroad, and more.
How to Apply
How to apply
To be considered, your application must be fully completed. The graduate program online application form is where you will upload:
- A statement of purpose: a rationalized explanation of your interests in Classical Studies and your short-and long-term goals.
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty who know you well.
- Writing sample: this is about 20 pages of connected prose. You may send a favorite term paper, a chapter of a senior honors paper or Master’s thesis, a professional presentation, or published article.
- Supporting documentation.
The online application fee must be paid via credit card. Domestic students who use the paper application may pay the application fee using a check, money order, or cash only. Applications will not be reviewed until the fee is paid.
Please arrange for the following two items to be mailed or emailed directly to the Department of Classical Studies:
- One original transcript from each university program you have been enrolled in (even if these were non-degree programs).
- Official, original report of GRE test scores (no more than five years old). For electronic scores, the code for Indiana University is 1324 and 2901 for the Department of Classical Studies.
Please send all documents pertaining to admission to:
Department of Classical Studies
Ballantine Hall 616
1020 E Kirkwood Ave
Bloomington, Indiana 47405