How to Apply
You may apply electronically to the department by means of our online application.
Deadline: 15 January (domestic); 15 November (International)
Your application file must be complete to receive consideration. It should consist of the following:
1. Online Application Form for Graduate School Admission, where you will upload:
- Statement of Purpose — a rationalized explanation of your interests in Classical Studies and your short- and long-term goals
- 3 Letters of Recommendation from faculty who know you well
- Writing Sample — about 20 pages of connected prose. You may send a favorite term paper, a chapter of a senior honors paper or a Master’s thesis, a professional presentation, or a published article if you have one.
- One original (official) transcript from each college or university program in which you have been enrolled (even if these were non-degree programs)
- Original (official) report of GRE test scores — no more than 5 years old. For electronic scores the codes are 1324 for Indiana University and 2901 for the Classical Studies Department
Please send all documents pertaining to admission by 15 January to:
Department of Classical Studies
Morrison Hall 323
1165 East 3rd Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47405
The online application fee must be paid via credit card. Domestic students who use the paper application may pay the application fee using a check, money order, or cash only. Call (812) 855-8853 or email email@example.com for more information. Applications are not reviewed until the fee is paid.